Mountain biking is fun when you cycle in a group instead of cycling alone because you get to talk about random topics and share your past experiences. Having a company is also important in case something happens to your bike and you need help fixing the problem.
However, trying to find other mountain bikers to cycle with can be a bit difficult especially for beginners who have no experience or if you move to a different area and you don’t know mountain biker.
Below are some ideas on where and how to meet other mountain bikers to avoid cycling alone because you are likely to feel lonely and cover a shorter distance than when you have company.
• Head out to the local trail – this is the easiest way to meet other mountain bikers. All you have to do is get on your bike and head to the local trail where other bikers cycle and ask them whether you can join them. Mountain bikers are very friendly so be sure they will agree without even thinking about it. Join their conversation or start one by asking questions about random topics. That I how, you get to make new friends, and you can ask for their contact after the session then schedule another time to meet them or a ride.
• Join your local mountain bike clubs – most communities have mountain bike clubs, so all you have to do is ask around to know how to join one. Check the club’s website or facebook group to learn a few details on how the club operates. These groups organize group rides and random parties, so you are likely to make new friends when you join the club. You should also participate in the maintenance events that happen once in a while where people volunteer to maintain the trails in case they start getting blocked by vegetation or if the boundaries start to fade away after being used for some time.
• Start a mountain bike club – as we have mentioned above, most communities have at least one club already, but that also means that not all of them have mountain bike clubs. Therefore, you can start one if your area doesn’t have one already and you know quite several bikers. Clubs offer a forum to interact with other bikers and learn a few skills from each other. Being part of such a group makes mountain biking even more interesting.
• Get active online – nowadays you can find anything that you are looking for online. Do your research online whether on facebook or any other social media platform to find a mountain bike group around your area. You can contact them and inquire about how to join the squad then show up on their meetings to get to know the other bikers.
You should also mention that you are a mountain biker in your social media biography and post your pictures often for other people who are looking for bikers to contact you. Apart from that, don’t be afraid to contact random people who are interested in mountain biking to enquire whether they are in any biking group or club. If not, ask them whether they could be interested in joining one then invite as many people as you can.
• Pop into your local bike shop – your local bike shop I another appropriate place to find other bikers apart from the trails. You can even ask the owner of the shop whether they know bikers around you then ask them to join them in their next biking adventure. Finding your fellow mountain bikers is not difficult at all; it is as simple as that. The only thing you need to do is ask around and be brave enough to ask them whether you can join their squad. Most of the people who visit a bike shop are either bikers or are interested in being mountain bikers, so you are certain of meeting your fellow bikers in the shops.
• International Mountain biking association – if you don’t succeed in finding bikers around your local area, then this is the best way to meet other bikers from different parts of the world. You need to pay your dues to join the group then start showing up at biking events. This association also organize trail maintenance days where volunteers come together to maintain the local trails. This is a good way to get to know other bikers apart from the biking events. Many mountain bikers show up in these volunteering activities because they love to maintain the trails, so you are guaranteed of meeting friendly bikers in the event.
• Meetup – meetup.com is an online website meant for mountain bikers to get to know each other. You only a have login in and look for people who have the same interests as you then plan to meet up to get to know each more. The good about this website is that they have gender-based groups, so it is easier for you to make friends and join a biking group easily. Don’t be afraid to join a group that consists of the opposite gender because you can meet other women in the group too.
• Sign up for a race – many biking races take place in different places all around the world and you don’t have to be experienced to participate. Look for an upcoming race that is meant for beginners to find people with the same skills as you to avoid feeling intimidated. These races are usually advertised on social media platforms, so you need to do your research for upcoming races and sign up to participate. You can also organize a race if you have an idea on how to go about it then tell your friends to help you spread the word for you to sign up as many bikers as you can. You can also opt to sponsor the advertisement post to reach a greater mass on social media if you don’t have a large number of followers.