Mountain bikes are very delicate and require maintenance to ensure that they remain in good working condition for a longer period of time. Maintaining your bike also prevents accidents from happening and increases your comfort as you cycle. Below is a list of detailed maintenance tips that will make things easier for you and more interesting.
Mountain bike maintenance tips.
These tips comprises of the practices you should carry out before and after riding your mountain bike for it to remain in good shape for a longer period of time.
1. Check the tire pressure- There are very many models of digital pressure gauges in the market today where you can choose from depending on your preference. You should do this before heading out for your ride to avoid having to change the tires on your cycling adventure. Apart from that, remember to inspect the tires in case of any wear or damaged rogue goathead that may cause a flat when you are riding.
2. Check the gears- Always run a quick test to ensure that the brakes are shifting properly. Make sure that the wheels are seated at the right angle in the skewers. Adjust the barrel adjuster but you must very careful to avoid twisting it to the wrong direction. Ensure that the chains are running across the chain ring and the cassette perfectly. If they are skipping, lube the links. Those are the factors that can cause faults in the functioning of the gears.
3. Check your brakes- Make a habit of testing your brakes by riding around your compound to make sure that they are in a good state. Having faulty brakes and not being aware can cause very severe accidents. If the brakes feel a bit loose, you can turn the bike upside down or pump them a bit to flee any bubbles that might be trapped inside. Ensure that the pads are not worn out and if they are replace them before heading out.
4. Check the fit- If it has been a while since the last time you used your bike, then consider to check the fit. Adjust the saddle to a comfortable height to ensure that you are comfortable when biking.
5. Check the screws and bolts- Can you imagine how tragic it would be if you were cycling down a hill and the parts start to fall off? That’s why you need to make it a habit to always check and fasten the screws and bolts before going for a ride. However, you should not tighten them too much to avoid damaging the parts.
6. Check the pedals- Many people tend to overlook this step but it is as important as the rest. Pedals get dirt that stick in them hence they freeze and cycling becomes a struggle. Therefore, you should clean them once in a while to ensure that they are not blocked by dirt or grime.
Essential tools for mountain bike repairs and maintenance
Mountain bike repairs and maintenance should be done often hence you need to invest in the most appropriate tools for the specific steps done during this processes. Having the right tools makes the procedure easier and very fast. Some of the most essential tools should be packed and carried around in your tool box while the rest can be kept at home and taken out when you need them.
Below are some of the essential tools that every serious mountain biker should have.
Grease-Invest in a high quality bike grease to apply on the moving parts and ensure that it is waterproof. Greasing areas where you are likely to note metal to metal friction prevent the parts from wearing out too fast because it acts as a lubricant.
Shock pump- Most mountain bikes are installed with an air suspension system thus a shock pump is very necessary to check the air pressure of the tires. However, you should be keen select on that has a strong valve that prevents air from bleeding off when you disconnect the pump from the tire.
Tire levers- You will definitely need tire lever when replacing the tires of your mountain bike. The best ones are made of rubber because the metal ones might exert too much force thus end up damaging the tires further.
Chainring nut tool- This tool comes in handy when you need to change the chainring or fix the chain in case the chain links are skipping.
Screwdrivers- You should check whether the screws are secured frequently and fasten them to prevent the bike’s parts from falling off.
A Pliers- Normal plier is a must-have tool because it plays very many rolls when you are repairing your bike.
Floor pump- Tires tend to lose pressure with time especially during the hot weather hence having a floor pump in your tool kit is very necessary. Always ensure to maintain the air pressure in the tires for your own comfort when cycling and to prevent damaging the tires.
Chain tool- This tool is used to cut the excess link from the chain when you want to replace the chain on your bike. It makes the replacement job easier and less cumbersome.
Cassette lockring tool- Always ensure that you remove the cassette lockring from the wheel when oiling it to ensure that you get to all parts. That’s why you must have this tool to make your job easier.
Cable cutter- This tool comes in handy when you need to cut unnecessary cables from the shifters or brake levers. It should be very sharp in order to cut the cables cleanly to avoid damaging the.
Wrench- A wrench is used to check the tire lever, pedals and the axle nuts to ensure that they are in good working conditions.
Bike repair stand- Last but not list, you need a strong bike repair stand to keep your bike upright and firm when you are cleaning it or repairing any part.